Sunday, December 29, 2013

Posts

"Oh, World, I cannot hold Thee close enough!
They woods, this autumn day, that ache and sag with color…
Lord, I do fear Thou'st made the world,
                                                          too beautiful this year!"
                                             - Marianne Moore "God's World"


"It doesn't have to be blue iris,
it could be weeds in a vacant lot,
or a few small stones; just pay attention…"
                                             - Mary Oliver "Prayer"


"Many, many thanks to my dear sister, Alison and husband, Mark, for all the love and support! LFE"

"To: GKR: Hello, sweet dear. All love to you and the Admiral. Hugs and kisses all around!"

"My mother, Deborah Lambert, is one of the strongest women I have ever known. Throw in humor and warmth and you have an incredible role model."

"My daughter, Jamila, is such a precious part of my life…I miss her…I adore her so very much!"

"The harshest cruelty I have endured in prison is the new unilateral decision to close the courtyard where I walk until March 2014. Here, the bright spot of my day has been to open the door to the outside-even in 104 degree heat or 13 degree frigidity. This has been my sanity. Outside I can see the sky, the red and olive green cardinals, the pair of red tails that live over by the creek. I can touch the trees and feel the air on my face.
When they told me the decision, I went into my room and like one of the babies I care for on this unit. My grief surprised me with its intensity, but I sobbed long and hard. My roommates were surprised-but they don't go outside anyway. I, on the other hand, have lived most of my life on farms, boats, or on ridges without electricity…in tipis…or Ford vans.
There is a small enclosure in the middle of the unit called the "Smoke Pit," although no one is allowed to smoke inside anymore (or outside for that matter). The Smoke Pit is about twenty feet by twenty feet, glassed in on three walls, and topped with a chain link ceiling open to the sky.
This is my only view of the clouds for the next three months: a sky defined by chain link, as am I.
But, I will walk on the unit- round and round- listening to a scratchy radio to block the chatter, and, on occasion, I will step in the the "Smoke Pit" and look at the tops of the KEntucky locust trees and the oaks, now leafless.
Believe it or not, I will be grateful for this…very grateful. There is beauty in all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment